POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction : Re: Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:26:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug or Clarification: Gamma Correction
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 11 Mar 1999 11:36:57
Message: <36e7ec62.3365811@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:49:38 -0600, Bob Hughes <inv### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

>I've just done several different test renders (single light_source color
>rgb 1) using Display_Gamma=1.0, assumed_gamma 2.2 and opposite of this,
>also both as 1.0 or 2.2. The appearance changes drastically as you might
>guess. Unfortunately to my eyes the render doesn't seem quite right when
>used as suggested.

If you are using pigments from color.inc, remember that many of them
were created before POV had gamma correction, mostly on pc's with
gamma 2.2 or so, and are designed to look "right" with that gamma.
Thus, if you use assumed_gamma 1.0 (the Right Thing to do), you will
need to alter them accordingly.  This also applies to most of the
other standard includes (woods, stones, metals etc.).  Here is a
little macro I have used for the purpose.

// Begin POV code

#macro Fixcols(Badcol)
	color rgb <pow(Badcol.red, 2.2), pow(Badcol.green, 2.2),
pow(Badcol.blue, 2.2)>
	filter Badcol.filter transmit Badcol.transmit
#end

// End POV code

Just wrap it around the color to be adjusted thus, for example:

pigment { Fixcols(HuntersGreen) }

Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com